Cartomancy Corner

A home for my card musings and useful links

Home About me Ganesh

01 January 2018

Who are you?

When I was younger, a lot younger, if anyone asked me what my favourite Tarot card was, I always said The Hermit. 

In those days, I acknowledged that I was very hermit-like, and even felt a certain amount of pride in the fact, so naturally, I identified with this card.

Then something shifted. I began to feel that I shouldn’t – shouldn’t – be a hermit. That I should make more of an effort to connect with people, join in, be part of society. I told myself that it wasn’t healthy to identify so strongly with The Hermit. That it was a negative mindset that only reinforced my anti-social attitude. And so, for a very long time, I tried hard to be more outgoing, social, normal…

My favourite card became The World. Not, perhaps, for the reasons my would-be redeemers might have hoped. To me, The World is completion, perfection, the All. It’s already a step beyond the realms of social interaction.
(source: www.queenoftarot.com/tarot_cards/66)

As I’ve gotten older with a capital O, I’ve become less and less inclined to make myself be something that, interaction by interaction, was become more and more obvious I was not. 

And then, a couple of days ago I saw a Hermit card in some online forum or other, and it suddenly hit me, like smack in the face hit me, that I had made a conscious decision, all those years ago, to deny my true self. 

Bugger that.

I still love The World card, but I remember now that I am The Hermit.

Who are you?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Tindaya said…

    Muy interesante lo que comentas en tu post. Yo he tenido esa misma sensacion con respecto al ermitaño, soy muy sociable pero me cansa la gente. Todos te recuerdan que has de sociabilizar mas que es malo estar encerrado con tus pensamientos pero la pregunta aqui seria: ¿ realmente es tan importante hacerlo cuando has de forzar la situacion? ¿No sera importante para tu Alma este tiempo de ser un poco ermitaño para profundizar sin distracciones en lo que has de profundizar? No se, creo sinceramente que hay personas que necesitamos estas temporadas de meterse y profundizar, la sociedad y el ruido distraen demasiado. Gracias por tu blog me ha gustado. Feliz año nuevo desde España.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger jmk said…

    Tindaya, Gracias por leer este post y por tu comentario.

    Yes, people tire me too. I have to acknowledge that and preserve my energy, especially now that I’m even “Older" (this post was 5 years ago!). You can’t do soul work or think deeply about things if you're too tired or too distracted.

    ¡Feliz año nuevo! May you always have room to think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

        Older posts                                                                       Newer posts