Cartomancy Corner

A home for my card musings and useful links

Home About me Ganesh

22 October 2017

What am I afraid of?

I had big plans for October.

I was going to do some deep soul work with my Wild Kuan Yin Oracle, finally introduce myself to the Vision Quest Tarot, and show my rune-stones some much overdue love (Decks for October).

I put all my other decks away (which basically means I took them off my desk, because the decks I tend to use live within grabbing distance anyway), and put these three front and centre.

And then I did nothing.

There they sat, looking at me, day after day. And I just looked back. Okay, I pulled a random card or two, but I never made the time to actually dive in. And because I'd made a commitment to only use these three this month, I suppressed the urge work with any others. And so I worked with none.

Whyyyyyyyyyy??

One habit I have been able to maintain is that of "talking" with my mother each morning, using my Sibilla cards (they have special dispensation from the Three Deck Rule). So I asked her, "Why don't I work with my cards more?" And she said -


I avoid spending time working with my cards because I might discover deep and personal insights, so instead I fill that time getting public recognition and satisfaction from sharing my card related interests and ideas with others. I'm talking the talk rather than walking the walk.

Hmmm, guilty as charged. There are some shadow areas I'm still not sure I'm ready to look at. And if I were to really immerse myself in my practice, where would it take me?

I'm already trying to ween myself off Facebook. Instagram is okay because it doesn't required that much interaction. I can post and look and not have to spend ages reading and responding to discussions. YouTube is a bit more of a problem because I could easily spend several hours a day watching all my favourite channels.

But the real issue is not how much time I spend avoiding working with my cards, but dealing with the reasons for the avoidance in the first place.

A lot of it is simply laziness - just difficulty making myself do it. I work, I come home, I do my chores, and then I just want to take it easy.

Some of it is a lack of focus. I don't like throwing cards for myself without some sort of need or question, and I haven't found a way of reading for others that I feel comfortable with. That's another of my shadows - the fear of what actually using my ability for others might look like and how it might impact my precious "quiet life".

And some of it is environmental. My space is not entirely my own - it hasn't been for several months, and I don't know how long that's going to last. Ha! I've just noticed that Belvedere + Stanza could show me waiting for my privacy. 😏

I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed from here. I keep hoping something will happen that will force my hand, because I can't seem to make any progress on my own. I think I've written all this as a kind of shadow work journaling (another thing I want to do but don't), to get it out where I can see it and hopefully begin to deal with it.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 2:40 AM, Blogger Nikkiana said…

    I can definitely relate to this. I've been going through a phase in the past few months where I've been avoiding doing readings for myself. I'll shuffle my cards and occasionally pull one, but I find I tend to put the card back completely unmoved and annoyed, not wanting to dig any deeper into the meaning because I'm avoiding facing my shadow and spending quality time with myself.... Things I know I should do, but.... resistance.

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger jmk said…

    Hi Nikkiana! Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It's just nice to know someone's "listening".
    Yes, I've missed your presence on the interwebs. I can understand not wanting to peer into the abyss, but clearly we've been "wired" for this sort of work, so why the hell don't we just do it?! And besides, it's not like it's all doom and gloom. Working with the cards is a joy and a pleasure most of the time. Quality time, like you said.
    Resistance. :(
    I suppose I'll have to accept it as a "phase" as well, and use the down time to sort out my priorities.
    Outside of your phase, I hope life is treating you nice. Be well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

        Older posts                                                                       Newer posts