Cartomancy Corner

A home for my card musings and useful links

Home About me Ganesh

15 October 2017

What is witchcraft? Who is a witch?

Benebell Wen introduced a topic that got my cogs turning...



I was moved to make the following comment -
From my perspective, witchcraft is anything that uses intention to influence or change reality, be that religious prayer, channelling reiki, visualisation, burning a candle...
For the person making the intention, however, it’s only witchcraft if they identify as a witch.
By the same token, if someone identifies as a witch, they are a witch. I don’t care if they don’t display any of the characteristics I personally would associate with witchiness.
It’s a mindset, a way of being. By consciously adopting a particular way of connecting with reality, however you perceive it, you become part of that reality.

I noted that these were just my very quick thoughts on the subject and that they'll need refinement. For instance, I think I'd drop the "consciously" from that last statement. But hey, it's a start.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I identify as a witch.

I was "witchy"as a child. But of course, I wasn't aware of it. I didn't even feel particularly different to other kids. It was just the way I interacted with my environment. It was only as I got older that I noticed that other people didn't always respond to things in quite the same way I did. And later still before I discovered labels to apply to my "responses".

As a young adult, looking for my place in society, I decided it would be best to steer my mysticism into something fairly mainstream so as not to be completely on my own. This was many years before the internet, with its easy access to more "fringe" communities.

I eventually settled on Liberal Quakerism, with its unprogrammed worship and emphasis on the Inner or Inward Light. And I was very happy there for quite a few years.

But over time, my focus shifted back to more solitary mystical practices. And now here I am today, practising witchcraft and calling myself a witch. And old enough to be quite comfortable with being "on my own".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this subject, so if this has gotten your cogs turning, please comment.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 5:02 AM, Blogger Krisl11 said…

    I love crafting and I think I found you from the peace sign granny square. It will be very large when completed. I feel that what you are explaining about yourself explains much of my own feelings/observations.I love the cards and have been doing them for years...sometimes, I don't feel particularly motivated and then there is a flurry of activity....I guess I am that way in all things. "Know thyself"....I just felt compelled to write this in an effort to relay that I LOVE your designs! Thank you!!!! <3
    Oh and if you get a moment, check out huichol art...it's my new obsession, as well~:)

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger jmk said…

    Aww, thank you so much for your very kind words! I'm so pleased you like the Peace Granny. I had so much fun designing it, and I love see what other people make with it.

    It's nice to "meet" someone else who loves crochet *and* cards. :) What kinds of cards do you work with? Everything ebbs and flows - I've hardly done any crochet for a couple of years now, but it's picking up again. And I'm a bit happier with my cards at the moment, but I'm trying not to force things too much.

    I've just Googled "huichol art" - Oh my goodness, it's amazing! So lively and colourful. It's hard to believe it's made with yarn. And you're doing this? Where did you learn how? I'd love to see what you do. Are you on Ravelry, or do you have a blog? Or I can be emailed on sofar_sogood at btinternet dot com.

    Thank you again for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Krisl11 said…

    I just read this~ Actually the huichol is done with tiny czech glass beads!!! It's rather relaxing :) The cards I work with most are the Robin Wood deck but I have Osho Zen, Herbal, Karma, and Faery decks. I think I have more that I have hidden from my self! LOL!!!! Have a great day!

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger jmk said…

    "I think I have more that I have hidden from my self!" LOL! We have to do that to save our sanity, or our marriages, sometimes. :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

        Older posts                                                                       Newer posts